Monday, March 20, 2006


Okay, it's been a little longer than I thought

Wow...... a whole week without an update. Oooops!

The last couple of weeks have been a little weird. I went to the doctor on the 10th, and I came to the conclusion that doctors should not start any tests on a weekend. I went in to talk to him about getting new allergy meds and renewing my Nexium. I also wanted to talk to him about the discolorations that started showing up on my feet. Since I know that venous problems in the legs can lead to these types of spots, I knew I needed to get them checked. My doctor examined my feet and decided that it is most likely either a circulatory problems or diabetes. So, he then says "It's been a while since we drew any labs for you, we'll go ahead and draw blood and do a complete set of labs: sugar, liver enzymes, and so on." He also orders a set of vascular studies for me, an ankle-brachial index (ABI) and a doppler scan. Wheeeeeee....... Nothing like this to set the mood for your weekend.

On Monday, I get an email from Buster telling me that the local hospital called and I needed to call them back. Since he did not send me the whole voicemail message, I did not know if this is to schedule the vascular exam or about the fellowship that I applied for. So, I called the number back, and it was the outpatient vascular lab confirming my appointment for Tuesday. Whaaa??? Luckily, I was able to get that day off and made it to the lab without issues. I have to say, being on the other side of the hospital bed/chair was a bit odd. I got to talking with the sonographer/tech while she was doing my scans, and she said that everything looked okay from her perspective. She also said that she doesn't normally give people the results but "since I was in the field and probably would be part of the company" she would go ahead and let me know. Overall, the whole experience was actually pleasant, at least as pleasant as medical testing can be. Of course, since my circulation looks good, that means the discolorations are probably related to diabetes. But, since I have not heard anything about the results of my labs, I don't know what my glucose was at. Hmmmm, guess I will have to call and hound them about it.

On the school front, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week was the review for the HESI test coming up next quarter. Trying to condense the last year and a half into three days. Needless to say, leaving there each day I felt like I had worked a 12 hours shift. So, my HESI is scheduled for the morning of April 1. A little scary, but that is one of the last 2 major hurdles before becoming a nurse.

It also looks like I finally have my preceptorship for next quarter worked out. I will be working on a medical intermediate care floor, on weekend nights (nights! ugh!). It looks like I will be able to get the necessary hours in a month. Three, 12 hour shifts a week for 4 weeks. It looks like I will not be seeing much of anything in April, but I should be done and able to focus on the future for the last month of the quarter. All I need now is final approval from my advisor on my schedule. It looks like this will all work out after all.

Hmmm, once I write it all down, it doesn't seem like all of that should have really taken two weeks after all.............

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?